Louis C. Tiffany’s (American, 1848-1933) pioneering use of opalescent glass allowed his artisans to “paint” with glass, enabling the creation of his extraordinary windows. These lovely luminaries are inspired by a landscape window in the collection of the New-York Historical Society. Painterly swaths of translucent color sweep across the “Magnolia Landscape” punctuated by leading, sculpted in places to mimic the contours of magnolia branches – which is as integral to the imagery as the milky and multicolored glass.
Tiffany Studios (1902-1932)
Landscape Window, ca. 1910-1920
Gift of Dr. Egon Neustadt, The New-York Historical Society